Saturday, June 21, 2008

London

Barbara is saying that she and Dean might have to go back to London for the spring semester of 2009. And I am trying to convince myself that I don't need to go too. The thought of another couple of weeks there is just floating around in my head and coming up to the surface every few minutes. What a city! The push of the crowds in Piccadilly Circus, the escalators in the Tube stops, the West End theatres, the queues at the box offices, the fish and chips at Rock and Sole Plaice, the tree-lined squares and parks, the massive, curving white buildings on Regent Street, the ice cream shops in Leicester Square, the hushed and dignified shopping at Fortnum and Mason, the opulence of Harrod's, and the delights of taking tea!

If B&D go back, I will probably start saving my money to make another trip. But I think I should take someone with me who has never been there, just because I think I owe it to all those in my circle. That leaves out everyone in my immediate family. And Lynne says she can't go this year; her family is going to Costa Rica in February. So I've set my sights on my friend Sharon Schuh Holden, my traveling buddy and college sorority sister from Louisville. The assault will begin as soon as I get word from Barbara about their plans. Oh, to cross the pond once more!

No comments: