Thursday, June 12, 2008

You Say Cicadas, I Say Locusts

Whatever you call them, they are a nuisance! My friend Joan wrote a blog entry about her encounters with them at Kelley Ridge (hilarious! Read it here: http://www.xorph.com/mom/) and I was listening to the din in our front yard through closed windows while I read! The nonstop, deafening buzzing gives our old Abby-girl the creeps when I take her out; she cowers and looks quite nervous. Does her "number" and wants to come back in fast.

Mike nearly filled our little garbage dumpster with shed exoskeletons and carcasses from under trees in our yard. It was so heavy that I couldn't move it to the street for pickup. And there is a distinctive bitter smell of decay in the backyard from the dead bugs in the grass.

How long will these guys hang around?

1 comment:

Bird's Words said...

OOH! I love blogs, Sharon! So glad to see you have one now. I'll be following. As for the cicadas, they are nasty little creatures, aren't they? Only a week or two more though, and they should be outta here for another 17 years. THAT is music to my ears!